Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 02-20-2023, 11:19 PM   #59
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
The problem with these "scientists" is that they can find enough proof to support BOTH sides of a given argument. For instance...this man here says that a future "reward" that we promise ourselves after completing a difficult task actually takes away our enjoyment for the task because the emphasis is placed upon the reward, and not the task. But I just finished a book by another noted psychologist (Brett Steenbarger)...and he endorses "future rewards", because they provide the necessary "motivation" for completing the difficult task.

Steenbarger even states a case where, in order to "motivate" himself to lose weight...he bought himself an expensive wardrobe of smaller-sized clothes, figuring that there would then be an added incentive to lose the weight...since he didn't want the expensive new clothes to go to waste. It's hard to know whom to believe when sound arguments can be made for both sides of a given issue.
That's a learned response.

The concepts behind what the video says are, in fact, questioned by the scientific community and not accepted as fact.

Don't recall his exact words but it was something that sounded (to me) like you must get yourself to believe that the battle is the reward as opposed to the winning of the war.

The difficult part is how you convince yourself of that.

But when I heard that, I instantly knew it would work for me because I'm a many-decades practitioner of self-hypnosis. I knew I could install such a suggestion.

It has completely changed my outlook on exercise.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)