Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-05-2022, 07:31 PM   #4
judehaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
From the Downs web site:

Grumpy Old Man Warning: I will probably watch the Derby itself (although I have no clue about any of the horses running) and some of the pre-race pomp and circumstances. I'm sure I won't be betting anything at Churchill.

Grade I and II races with horses shipped in from all over the country? Expensive, lightly raced horses? No thanks. Claiming and allowance races are my bread and butter, preferably with horses that have been racing at the same track for a while. I've been in the game for many a year, and doubt that I have ever bet on a Triple Crown race. Or a Triple Crown program race. And a bad track would make it even less likely.

Difference strokes for different folks.
From a profitability standpoint, you're basically right. About 10 years ago I was SUPER regular at Saratoga Harness and often would see an angle on a 3-1 horse or higher (remember, harness, half-mile, lol) and thought "why aren't more people betting this horse" since I watched so many races. I guess what draws me to this weekend is 1) the sheer quality of the races; I bet there are no -0 beyers, lol, and 2) TwinSpires, and probably other sites, have some cash back promos on win bets that really turn the odds in the bettor's favor. Doing $10 to win in every race with the possibility to hit big (for me) is an exciting way to play, and if your running finishes second or third (typically) you get your bet amount back.
judehaz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)