Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Race fix?
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2022, 12:21 PM   #36
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post

Over the past several months I've been doing interval training in the deepest most tiring part of the sand I can find on the beaches in my immediate neighborhood.

I started out by walking a few hundred yards and then jogging the next hundred yards or so until I tired. Followed by slowing to a walk, and repeating the cycle over and over until I felt I'd put in enough work that day.

Little by little I built up my stamina.

After doing this 3 or 4 days a week for several weeks I no longer needed to slow to a walk. I found myself able to run continuously in deep sand.

But it's interval training because of the way I vary the pace.

Last night I did about 2.5 miles round trip. I jogged the first few hundred yards as a warmup. Followed by running the next few hundred yards at a faster pace until I began to tire. Followed by slowing the pace to a jog. Followed by a fast pace again. Kept repeating until I covered the course I set out to cover.

Great stuff about training. I have lost wgt and gotten very fit (for an old fat guy). My standard jog covers a 1.5 mile trek on the grounds at Mnr, but I also fast-walk and slow-jog hills in nearby parks. A friend and I hiked 4 miles through the woods -most of it steep ascent-and then jogged a mile to top it off yesterday.

Do you mix in wgt training? I have lifted 3x a week for decades, but find the effects of aging on my muscles and strength to be downright depressing. I suspect that has much to do with decreased flexibility.

No doubt ready to take it all to higher level, but leery of taxing my body to greater extent.

Incidentally, they say it's the speed you maintain during the "rest" portions of intervals that best reflect degree of fitness.

I have known horsemen that experimented by implementing "human" training methods in the conditioning of thoroughbreds. One guy breezed them twice per session, with a 30 minute rest period between, and found that the second drill invariably clocked faster than the first-often much faster, while another trainer mixed fast intervals into gallops.

FWIW, neither man won many races, and both found that thoroughbred legs stood up poorly to these unorthodox methods.

Humans are a much sounder, more durable species.

Pertaining to the race in question: I have (considerably) less trouble with the horse coming again in such extreme and unlikely fashion (there ARE potential reasons for this) than I do with the RIDE.

Last edited by mountainman; 07-23-2022 at 12:28 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most
Dornoch - 67.74%
42 Votes
Track Phantom - 32.26%
20 Votes
Total Votes: 62
This poll is closed.