Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 06:59 PM   #12
foregoforever

I drove by there today. Everything is fenced off, so you can't get to the track or building. I drove around behind it and could glimpse the building and a very small piece of the track. I couldn't see any green to speak of. Very depressing.

I understand the problems with the location. Yet despite that, from about 2000-2005, things seemed to be turning upward for Colonial. They were on TVG and HRTV, there was some buzz among horseplayers, and the DRF was even selling a Colonial PP package. Most all the good turf horses were showing up on Va Derby Day. I still count Kitten's Joy vs Artie Schiller as one of the best races I've ever seen.

All the squabbling about dates started around 2010, and we've seen all the silliness since then. But somehow, everyone managed to turn gold into lead between 2005 and 2010, more or less, and I still struggle to figure out how they did it.

I suspect two things. The racing took a downturn once Laurel opened their new turf course around 2006 or so, which was about the time Colonial booted out the Maryland Jockey Club, which had been running the Colonial meet. Colonial really needed the alliance with Maryland, but once Laurel had their turf course, they didn't really need Colonial any more.

The other was the ADW war that started about that time as well. Colonial demanded ridiculous source market fees, and all the ADWs bailed. No more TVG or HRTV, no more ADW promotions. Then they made it even worse with the ADW tax.

It still amazes me that any ADW would accept accounts from Virginia residents with the 10% ADW tax, and with Virginia putting on no live racing at all. In an industry full of freeloaders, Virginia has to stand at the top of the list in that regard.
foregoforever is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)