Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 08-24-2020, 12:42 PM   #6
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
At many tracks nowadays, the condition book is somewhat less useful than it used to be. Back when we were racing, the condition book would come out, there'd be some listed extras, and then a couple of extras would be added on the overnights. You knew you had to enter when the race that fit your horse came up in the book, even if you weren't quite ready - because it may be a couple of weeks before you saw that condition available again.

Now I often see overnights from many tracks with 10-15 extras listed, and cards with 40% of the races coming from extras, rather than the condition book. A lot of factors come into play - declining horse population, horses having longer gaps between races, certain trainers having the gravitas to be able to ask for extra to be written whenever they need one for ANY of their horses, not just the top ones, etc.

It's still valuable reading - and I would add the overnights as good information also - they can also bring a chuckle sometimes. I've enjoyed the Ron Flatter Racing Podcast when he's signed off by reading a little nugget from an overnight, e.g. "PLEASE DO NOT THROW TRASH INTO THE MANURE BINS. PLEASE CHECK YOUR BINS DAILY TO MAKE SURE THAT YOUR HELP IS NOT THROWING ANY TRASH INTO THEM."
Sharp post. I entered a horse at Arlington the other day in X-33. Crazy. It comes from trainers wanting just the absolute perfect race and a short field to boot. The manure bins thing is because tracks sell the straw, shavings and manure to mushroom farms. Regular garbage messes that up quite a bit.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most