Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Nyra Stewards
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2022, 11:32 AM   #44
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I think there's truth to this, and honestly, I wouldn't want a sport that tried so minutely to adjudicate fouls that it took the strategic element of race-riding away. Some of the race-riding things Vic is talking about are a fascinating part of the sport, in the same way that ball fakes in basketball and zone blitzes in football are. I wouldn't want to see them go or all have to be adjudicated by the stewards.
I don't think Stewards are adjudicating race riding tactics. In fact we may point out instances to a greener rider who takes the bait to be more cautious.

If you ever happen to be in the Stewards stand you'll hear them shouting the same thing every few races. " In or out jock. Get in or out"

I sometimes even say it in race calls.

Stewards get VERY nervous when they see a "bad formation" about to materialize. You can see it coming before it actually happens.

Elite riders can sense this too and will "take the pressure" off. Sometimes Stewards who see that will call down to the room to praise and thank the rider who gave another rider a "shot" rather than forcing him to stay in a spot he should never have gotten in to.

So much goes on out there that's only obvious to other riders and the trained eye of the stewards.

I love talking to riders and listening to them speak of the nuances of what's happening on the track. I've learned a ton by listening to jocks analyze films. Jermaine Bridgmohan and Tyler Baze are especially good at that.

I once asked Laffit about being afraid out there.

He said I'm only afraid of one thing..." A rider that's NEVER afraid"

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)