Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Nyra Stewards
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2022, 07:51 PM   #39
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
I 100% agree with this during the race however at the gate break not so much. We have seen many times when a horse breaks it can take a right or left hand turn causing massive collisions. There is no way I believe this to be intentional on a jockeys behalf to gain a tactical edge. IMO the gate break is the most dangerous park of a horse race. Horses clip heels, fall down and run erratic more so at the break then any other time during a race. We will just have to agree to disagree that a jockey at that moment would intentionally create a foul to get a “ tactical “edge.
I'm not suggesting it's something that happens commonly.

I am saying extremely talented jocks are capable of gaining tactical edges in scenarios where less talented riders cannot.

Stewards have a saying they tell jocks. " first jump yours 2nd jump ours"

If a horse is going to break inward or outward dramatically there's not much a jock can do. Stewards watch for how quickly they correct.

Another fine line that great riders toe is setting traps for less experienced jocks.

They can make it "appear" there's a hole or a way through that will in fact never work.

Jocks will sometimes take the bait and move into a spot they shouldn't. One of a myriad of ways a great rider can exploit the weaknesses of guys with less talent or experience.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)