Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 08-19-2018, 10:17 PM   #13
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
In no way was I defending the rule. (I was merely pointing out what the rule is in New York.)

I recall what the track signals looked like on TV back in the 1980's and 1990's.

Before they started displaying the 1 and 1A separately it was definitely misleading. Not so much these days.

Personally, I'm against any rule that calls for scratching a horse for betting purposes and letting it run for purse money only --

As a horseplayer, I see such rules as a slap in the face.

I also think such rules are financially harmful to the track's bottom line. As well as harmful to the horsemen's purse account.

When a horse is scratched for betting purposes and allowed to run for purse money only:

The track gets one less runner for that race. (Smaller field size.)

That equates to less money bet on that race. Which in turn equates to a reduction in gross profit for the track's bottom line.

The reduction in handle also equates to a reduction in money going to the horsemens's purse account for that race.

I contend that if you scratch the horse instead of allowing it to run for purse money only:

There's a good chance the trainer runs that horse right back.

In theory the track gets one extra horse in a future race. (Much sooner than if you allow that horse to run for purse money only and it needs another 6 weeks to recover.)

If the trainer runs the horse right back the track gets higher handle and the horsemen get an increase in money going to the purse account.

I contend that if you scratch the horse instead of allowing it to run for purse money only:

Both the track's bottom line and the horsemen's purse account are better off in the long run.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 08-19-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)