Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 06-05-2023, 11:40 AM   #120
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
The hilarious part about this silly comparison of a horse that didn't even make it to the spring of his 3yo year & a colt that won the Triple Crown and returned from oblivion to dominate a fellow Triple Crown winner & deliver one of the greatest performances in defeat, is that I don't even think you can say Hoist the Flag was a better horse up to the parallel point where his career ended.

While Hoist the Flag smashed a stakes record in the Bay Shore in his second (and final) start of his 3yo year, Seattle Slew destroyed a track record at Hialeah over the same distance in his first start at 3.

Also, Slew, unlike Hoist the Flag, actually won the Champagne and ran the fastest 2yo mile at Belmont ever (which would include 1970) when he did it. Furthermore, when Slew won his second start at 7 furlongs, they galloped him out an extra furlong to prepare for the Champagne and he was clocked in 1:35 1/5.

And if you need evidence that Cruguet is either bitter, biased, disingenuous or otherwise misinformed, here's what he said when asked if Slew was tiring in his first try at 9 furlongs in the Flamingo (won geared down in 1:47 2/5):

"How could he?" Cruguet countered. "I never asked him to really run. He could have gone much faster. If we had given the green light to break a record, I think Slew would've broken the track record easily and perhaps the world record."

Some "miler"...
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)