Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Religion II
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2018, 11:01 AM   #7501
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
Figments of my imagination? Then please explain why there are literally thousands of different flavors of Christianity, and why 1500 years after Christ died MAN, and not God, decides the faith needs a change in direction? A change, mind you, that results in half of Christians today being classified as Protestants. Please explain why only 1/3 of the world's population, at best, is Christian? Please explain why religion and Christianity are so often used to terrify and control, when the underlying message is supposed to be "Good News"?

If the terms "holes" and "contradictions" are not to your liking, what term(s) would you use to describe the problems with Christianity today? Or do you believe all is well with the Christian faith?

As for script, you seem to think I meant interpretation. What I intended to communicate is that very, very, very, why not many at all, few people pick up the Bible and become saved. I suppose it happens. But the ones I've observed were usually led by the nose by a PERSON, not the Holy Spirit, or they were exposed to Christianity and the concept of being saved long before the blessed event takes place. This of course doesn't mean it's not an actual process, but there is significant confirmation (pun intended) bias involved. In other words, playing to the script.

Ask yourself this question, Boxcar. When did you first hear about Jesus? Reading the Bible, or being exposed to it through dogmatic practice by HUMANs?

I will not dispute that there are those that claim a direct connection with God, and have repeated experiences with that. However, this phenomena appears to be limited in scope to a fraction of the world's inhabitants, which again sets the table for intermediation by another PERSON in achieving a relationship with God. And if humility is required for one to experience indwelling of the Holy Spirit - why that opens up the mystery of how, in the World, did you come to experience it?
I'm not sure there are thousands of "different flavors" to Christianity. Hundreds, perhaps, but I think you greatly exaggerate.

The New Covenant Church of Christ is very much like the Old Covenant Nation Israel (a type of church). Even a cursory reading of the OT will bear out that God's "chosen people" were largely apostate and were driven three times from their promised land, as covenant-breakers, for their transgressions. (As the apostle Paul exhorts us (to paraphrase), "those things of former times were written for the Church's instruction today, cf. 1Cor 10:11).

Further, the OT instructs us that God has always saved a remnant of mankind. And so it is today with Christ's church. Nothing has changed. There are numerous professing Christians who profess to believe in Christ, who on the last day will be cast from the Lord's presence for all eternity because they never trusted Him (i.e. believed Him, as Abraham did, as one example). (See the end of Matthew 7.) We have one such person who has often posted in this thread!

Regarding the bible as the lone source for people's salvation, I seriously doubt you can back up your claim that only a tiny percentage of people can become saved by reading it. While, I would agree that a large percentage don't become saved in that manner, it is because has made his church a "kingdom of priests" for the very purpose of ministering to lost souls (among other things).

In my own case, I relied almost solely on the scriptures for my salvation, but in the end I became confused and frustrated until God led me to a godly pastor at a church in my area. After he answered several questions I had, I could no longer resist the conviction of the Holy Spirit, and I broke down and wept bitterly over my sins and asked God to forgive me. God literally saved me after I left the pastor's house and got into my car and started to reflect on things the pastor had told me.

I first heard about Jesus in a documentary film I saw -- "The Late Great Planet Earth" that dealt with the doctrine of eschatology. After seeing that movie, I bought the book because I tend to absorb things better through reading than by hearing. After I finished the book, I then went out and bought my first bible and eventually read it from cover to cover.

If there be any "holes" and "contradictions", they would be in the bible. But you're complaining about God's church. Or are you? If you're complaining about the state of God's church, then I would say that the church is largely apostate today -- but the apostasy isn't due to "holes" or "contradictions" in scripture. It's due to man's self-deceived, sinful nature.

As for "confirmation bias", all true believers will get that only from scripture. A Christian constantly examines his life in light of the Word of God. If a professing Christian's his life isn't essentially and substantially line with the Word, then he has no reason to believe he was ever saved to begin with. Conversely, comfort, joy, peace and all the other fruits of the Holy Spirit are confirmed in a true believer's heart when he is walking with God. Having said this, it's also important to understand that no Christian, no matter how devout or pious he/she is will ever attain to perfection in this life. Therefore, the Christian life is one of continual confession, repentance and active seeking of forgiveness.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)