Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-02-2017, 12:46 PM   #84
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity View Post
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...6&postcount=10

not that long ago you were beating much tougher games opening 87s from early position?

there's that precipitous of a drop from 87s early to 76s (and 8+ handed) in the hijack?
It's 87 suited, prox. That makes all the difference. I wouldn't do it with 76 suited.

Think of it this way. The raise isn't that important. Let's say I open-limped 87 suited out of position. Now I end up in a 7 way pot, maybe someone else raises, maybe not. My 87 suited captures its fair share of equity, doesn't it?

Now change it to me raising. One of two things generally happens. Either the raise does not get respected, and I get into that same pot with my same fair share of equity. Or the raise gets respected, and I end up with a hand that I can represent as a big ace, broadway, or big pocket pair on the later streets.

Now, in the hands that I take down because people respect the raise and fold better hands, it doesn't matter whether I have 65 suited or 87 suited. But in the hands where I end up playing in a multi-way pot, it matters a lot, because 65 suited doesn't capture its fair share of equity and 87 suited does. So I should end up with a net loss on my 65 suited raises and a net win from my 87 suiteds, unless the table is so nitty that a lot of my raises get through and fold out my opponents.

The drop isn't "precipitous" so much as it is that the 7 is the lowest low card that results in a positive share of equity in a multi-way pot. T7 suited is the lowest two-gapper, 97 suited is the lowest one-gapper, and 87 suited is the lowest connector. Fool around with PokerStove and you will see this.

Now when I'm on the button I think I make up enough from playing last that I can overcome a hot-cold equity gap, so I will play more suited junk in multi-way pots. And in the cut-off, I can make the case for a bit of this too. But you are basically almost never going to act last limping in from the HJ in a loose 3-6 game. And out of position, I want an equity advantage.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)