Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #12
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyPlonk
Hey, Ralph, you're spot on about the riders ... I'm no apologist there. This comes directly from a column I wrote in April of 2007 on the topic, sharing your frustration:

Jockeys on Keeneland's Polytrack ride like they're competing on the moon. Over no other artificial surface in North America do the riders treat the stuff like they're prancing over broken glass. Break, run your race, go :46-and-change, and quit acting like this is some kind of voodoo surface. It's not at Woodbine, Hollywood, Turfway or anywhere else that has the synthetic stuff. To me, this is completely between the riders' ears and not what's below the horses' hooves. How else can you explain unraced 2-year-olds breaking world records over the same surface just days before G1 horses go 1:16-and-change for the opening 6 furlongs of the Blue Grass?

But would you feel any better to know that the average half-mile split in 1-1/16 miles races for the entire 2008 spring meeting was 48-2/5 with only 3 above :50 and none above :50-4/5? That's a full second faster than the 1-1/16 miles races were run during the 2007 spring meeting, where 10 of 30 races were run in :50 or more for the half, some as high as :52 ... so the jockeys are starting to "get it" - proven out by the numbers.

Angry frustrations linger, but at least the numbers are showing that the racing is getting more and more like it ought to be - even from the riders.
Good Stuff! Thanks very much for the info. I will be there in a week throwing my share into the pools again............

No matter how you slice it, it is still the best place to be........ I can always bet some other tracks from the simul center........and enjoy the atmosphere

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)