Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 04:00 PM   #256
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
What you describe above is not "hustling." It is "game making." Of course, I am presupposing that we're not talking about shark vs. guppie. In that case, a predator is a predator. (I couldn't sleep at night if I were a predator.)

As many people here have "admitted" to, I was also a serious pool player in my youth. Growing up in Miami, it was a very tough "market," because there were a lot of big boys back then.

While I thought I was a pretty good player - once ran 72 balls in a game of straight pool - it was acutely obvious (because of the local competition) that I was not a "real" pool player.

I was good enough to make a small living because of my "gamesmanship." That is, my ability to "make a good game," and not tilt at windmills.

I learned very quickly that I had no business at the same table with those whales with names like DiLiberto, "Corn Bread," "Weanie Beenie," and the like.

But it was all about game making. Kind of like horse racing.

Dave
PS: With the exception of Danny D, all of those guys have died, many violently or via drugs.
I heard of all those guys.

I used to play in Queens NY at a place named The Golden Cue in the late 70s. The action in that place was unbelievable. Martin, Hopkins, Nagy, Miserak, Margo, Murphy, and a bunch of other solid players used to gamble there and road players were constantly stopping in. My high run was a 93 and I wasn't even a thought in that joint. I used to sit the stands of the exhibition table and watch world champions battle it out for hours. When I think back on it now, I was in heaven and didn't know it.

» Advertisement