Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 04:09 PM   #67
ubercapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Yes, I do.

He’s on the record as saying he thinks it’s most humane for the horse to be treated with race day Lasix.

Regarding pain, do you really think hundreds of horses are experiencing pain and no trainer or vet has noticed? You really think that if they were experiencing pain that it wouldn’t be negatively affecting their racing?

At others have stated, whether IV Lasix is humane for horses who have experienced EIPH is totally different than my point IV Lasix is not humane if given prophylactically to horses who have not experience EIPH.

My opinion is based on the likely discomfort or pain horses feel following administration if the action is similar to what I felt and other people feel after getting IV Lasix.

Your opinion appears to be based on a question never asked to Dr. Bramlage, or anyone else.

As to whether Lasix negatively affects their ability to race - Lasix is given hours before a race, then they urinate profusely, so any pain and discomfort is gone long before they race. I know I felt fine after an hour or so and if horse's are similarly predisposed it's long forgotten by the time they go to the paddock.

Regarding trainers or vets noticing any discomfort - Unless the vet or trainer sticks around for the next hour immediately after IV Lasix administration (if the effect is the same as in humans), they would not notice any pain or discomfort. So, I really do think there are few people noticing and those that are probably are grooms who have no reason to suspect the horse is uncomfortable because all they notice is the gallons upon gallons of urine.

I hope you never have to get IV Lasix. I am 100% confident if you did you would understand it is not humane to give it to horses prophylactically.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)