Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 10-04-2022, 11:26 PM   #7
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
What Sonny Leon did was the kind of nonsense you see on Fair Circuits.***

When a horse's saddle slips the first, second and third thing a jock thinks is don't fall off, don't die.

First, he shaved the horse in Blue and White and did it with a precision that looked like he was in COMPLETE control and knew exactly what he was doing. He successfully pushed the envelope just right.

RICH STRIKE looked like he was going to blow past HRC. He pulled himself up when he made the lead. It's not that uncommon especially with young horses. When that happens it's like your bike getting a flat just when you're down and peddling as fast as you can. It will cause you to lose your balance.

When Leon realized that was happening, he made a decision to try whatever he could to stop Tyler G and HRC to re-rally.

It didn't work.

It was intentional.

It was dangerous.

It was bush.

Guys with limited opportunities in the national spotlight will over try at times knowing it may be a while before being in a similar position.

That part of it I somewhat understand if not condone.

RICH STRIKE is obviously extremely talented. But exhibits all the behaviors of being VERY studdish. Trying to savage the pony, leaning into other horses and pulling himself up immediately after making the lead.

All antics that could probably be cured by gelding. THAT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

As for the sanction. 15 IMO is at the upper level of days. But I don't think it's excessive. 10 to 15 seems in line.

Would he have come down had he finished in front of HRC?

That's a VERY VERY close call. As you guys have heard me say. When Stewards watch replays for placings, they look at the horses NOT the jockeys. In this rare case it has to be factored in but it's hard to definitively say a DQ was warranted. Margin of victory would for me have played a big role.

My gut says DQ would probably have been correct but it's far from a slam dunk.

The Stewards would be extremely unlikely to change their decision. The HIGH DEF TV's and a myriad of angles at their disposal is state of the art at CD and I'm sure they feel adequate to make an informed, experienced decision.

Thanks for asking me to share my opinion.

***Think of the early footage in Seabiscuit when Red Pollard first started riding.
masterful
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)