Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Canterbury
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2018, 05:51 PM   #9
JohnGalt1

One advantage to playing a track you seldom play and are unfamiliar with is you can handicap with fresh a perspective.

I played Thistledown last week and won 2 of four win bets. I hadn't played it for years and knew almost nothing about it.

The disadvantage is being unfamiliar with the nuances of the track.

Tracks like Canterbury and Thistledown have one advantage for us is that the sharpies seldom play their races. On track betters are mostly $2.00 fun time betters is our competition.

My home track is Canterbury. Last year I made $850 for the meet. I like when locals and unfamiliar with Canterbury play.

However, last year my handle was down. They raised takeout from the one year experiment where handle grew 1% in 2016. On track handle was down 6%, and off track handle was up 3.5% which is what they wanted to increase.

They said they wanted AT LEAST A 5% total increase. They also blamed the weather when they lost many turf races. But shouldn't that have been a explanation why handle only grew 1% instead of the 5% with most turf races run.

This year I've noticed daily all source handle is usually between $500k-700k. And the Spring weather has sucked this year, which is a reason for lower handle.

My handle was also reduced last year because they converted the pick 5 to a sucker pick 5.

Rant over.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)