Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-06-2018, 01:51 PM   #3
Quesmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/04/s...cky-derby.html

I wanted to learn, as I didn't know, who the China Horse Club is. Well, gentlemen, it's a whole lot of millionaires funneling money through St.Lucia.

I had noted the number of horses they had running on Oaks and Derby Day. Ten runners with all but three in partnership with Winstar Farm.

Mr. Teo would love to create a horseracing mecca in China, however, this is proving difficult as betting there remains illegal.

Anyway, it kinda troubles me when a club of 200 elite, secretive folks from China start to pour money into horses we raise and race. .... Godolphin, one person. Juddmonte, one person. Coolmore, three people. That's a bit different.
Does Hong Kong,an "autonomous territory" count as China?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Is there money different then other peoples money?

So what if they owned it. I heard what the owner said in the press conference, was very compelling. I dont see how expanding racing is anything but a good thing.
The issue is not who the investors are,but how was the financing obtained,who knows the origin of the capital now being invested,as it first gets churned through offshore accounts,and than gets laundered via an elaborate horse partnership.It's done in other ways too like high end real estate,art,or sports franchises.
Consider:

“Behind every great fortune there is a crime.”
— Honoré de Balzac
Quesmark is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)