Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Horse Weights
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2018, 12:40 PM   #74
elhelmete

Yanno, this is a handicapping forum, and I like to see how others approach their handicapping. I don't want or expect anyone to "give me shit for free," or that there's a magic bullet somewhere being hidden by someone.

I like learning about different approaches. Like a buffet.

Class handicappers, pace handicappers, replay junkies, physicists, breeding...all have something to add, or at least an interesting perspective. That is, of course, unless they obfuscate and deflect instead of discussing within the bounds they feel comfortable and instructive.

I have always believed that those that live or die on 'data' are held in check by the validity of the base data that is available and from which they derive their actionable information. Garbage in, garbage out, IOW. Like if I pack for a vacation in Montana based on a single data-point report of "average US temperature in September" it's not going to work out well.

So I do believe that weight of a horse, and fluctuations race-to-race and in between, would probably be a useful data set to have and to play with. I would consider it to be an indicator of a horse's health, athleticism, and other useful things.

I don't have that data set, nor am I asking someone for theirs.

A few track are starting to provide that info via a direct measure (scale). I would consider that the most accurate method, but if it's not widely and frequently done, one must wonder if estimating it is, a) possible with the limited and questionable PP data available, b) accurate compared to actual data when that is available, and c) a useful metric.

Cratos says he does all 3 successfully.

I'm not looking for shortcuts, just a real discussion. I think it could be fascinating. And I know it could be discussed among us mere mortals and without revealing any secrets.

Sad that it's not happening.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)