Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 09-21-2018, 12:45 AM   #18
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
If you go back and look at some of the interviews with Bobby Fischer, you will see him say the same things you mention here......

Much has been said about Magnus' play as well.......There is little to no creativity when you draw time after time ....
Thanks for reaffirming what I thought...it makes a lot of sense really that the play would be more mechanical than creative...There is a saying that “good chess players are thinking and planning their moves 5-7 moves ahead...I never understood this...how could a player do this...when his opponent COULD move any number of moves in response to his next move...? The move permutations would be too large.

I thought I was deficient or incapable of being an excellent player...

But NOW, I understand HOW this can be the case...if you have memorized the openings, and the counter-moves to the openings, the traps and tricks for each, and understand how after a certain sequence of likely responses has occurred, you can “force” your opponent to move either through check or common sense...THEN...I can understand how a player can “think” 5-7 moves ahead...but that is not really creative play, but mechanics...

So yes, I think I now understand what Fisher and Magnus are saying...it’s sort of like an “If X is played, then respond with Y” and memorize all the permutations and response sequences...AHEAD OF TIME...

Where’s the fun in that...? You are NOT really PLAYING chess anymore...are you?

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 09-21-2018 at 12:48 AM.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)