Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 12:20 PM   #20
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
I met Migliore in 1981 the year he won an Eclipse Award as racing's top apprentice jockey. He rode first call and primarily for Steve DiMauro of Wajima fame and an ex-rider himself. Joe Shea was his agent. Shea was once the agent for Ron Turcotte, among others.

I don't recall The Mig ever cracking the Top 5 in the standings in those early years against NYRA's hall of fame jock's room but he always held his own with them. I always said he was the most underrated rider of his time, fwiw, but I truly believed it then, and still do today as well.

At and about the same time the great horseman, Mike Hushion, was building his very own racing stable after many years working for H. Allen Jerkens. One year in the late 80s and early 90s (?) it all clicked for Hushion. In a Racing Form article Hushion mentioned the success he and Migliore were having. Hushion said that Migliore helped him immensely on his own time in the early years and he (Migliore) never asked me (Hushion) for any thing in return. I promised him that once I got some horses of some count, I'd ride him.

Hushion was good to his word and he and Migliore would win a boat load of races together for many, many years after.

Anyone who even remotely knows Migliore knows that his 'greatness' as a racing analyst and commentator is no fluke.
If i remember correctly he was under some sort of contract when he was an apprentice for those first few years. Once he bought it out, he was able to ride for other trainers as he pleased. That is when his career took off.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)