Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 01:57 AM   #31
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by traynor
I have watched a lot of trainers use similar maneuvers, with varying degrees of success. Trainers often throw in a cooler race between serious races, using it as an extended workout. For claimers, it is normal to enter the horse at a higher claiming price to reap a bonus if claimed, or to avoid claims and obscure the form of a horse in good condition.

I agree that trainer intent is a major factor to consider. I have mentioned previously that (to me) one of the most useful techniques for understanding the realities of racing was one advocated by Bob Purdy, of the Sartin PIRCO group. That is to start with the oldest race in the PPs, and work up to the last race, with the sole thought in mind of trying to understand why the trainer entered the horse in each and every one of the races shown. Time consuming initially, but a good exercise to develop understanding.

In the scenario you describe, an even more interesting situation might develop if the entry wins when dropped back to $7500--and then is entered again at $10000--when everyone believes it has no chance to win.
I have been doing this for at least 15 years...ever since Henry Kuck recommended it in his book WINNER'S FILE.

I don't remember anything else from that book...but that's a piece of advice that I have never forgotten.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)