Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Brad Thomas
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2006, 10:41 PM   #20
pandy

DOUG KAPLAN

I worked with Doug Kaplan at Sports Eye and we were pretty good friends. I went to his wedding. I always wondered what he's doing now and if he's still a laywer. He was a terrific writer, interesting and funny. One time I was writing the Monticello analysis and I went to the bathroom. When I was out, he sat down at the typewriter and inserted something about a harness driver named Artie Bier into my column. Artie Bier had just come back from a suspension and it read something like, "Artie Bier, former bag man for the Columbo gang, returns from suspension," or something like that. It went in the paper! The next day I get a phone call from Artie Bier! I was mortified. I knew it was Doug, just his style of irreverent wit. I made him get on the phone with Artie Bier and confess that it wasn't me. Artie was pretty cool, I must admit. He said something like, "I just got back, please don't write anything like that anymore!" We apologized profusely, but it was pretty funny.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement