Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 09:23 PM   #5
Immortal6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
So yesterday I was reading Mark Cramer's Thoroughbred Cycles when my kid walks up and asks what I was reading, I told him, and he said "think I should read that book"?

I asked him why and he said "I wanna learn how to bet the horses".

Now he is 15 and been around this his whole life, not only have I been doing it forever I have a family friend who is in the business so we always watch the BC and Derby, go to see people in California and Ky where my wife is from. So its not new to him.

I told him this is the not the book for you to read to learn, its more advanced concepts, but beyond that I could teach you more than is in most books.

The question is, is that a good idea? Should I even subject my kid to this game? Will he wander that ways anyhow?

Was a bridge I didnt expect to cross, my kid aint exactly like me in many regards.
Speaking from a son's perspective, I would encourage your son to try to handicap races with you and help you look over pps at the races. It is a great way to introduce him to handicapping and you can help teach him some basics to the game first hand; heck maybe he will even show you a new angle you haven't thought of!

My first experience at the races was with my dad when I was about your sons age, where my dad would place a couple $2 show bets on horses that I liked. I'll always remember before I was able to decipher a racing form my dad would always take me track side and I would pick my winner by watching the horses in the post parade...(I think I bet a disproportionate number of grey horses )

I'm fortunate enough to share many common interests with my own father but going to the track together and sharing our insights into races with one another is currently and will be some of my most cherished memories for years to come. If you and your son don't share many interest this may be a good opportunity for you.
Immortal6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement