Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 02:38 AM   #13
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Look...we are all allowed to voice our opinions here...and my opinion is that Dr. Ziemba's book is a gigantic waste of time for a young player interested in today's game. And, to prove to you that I'm not "Mr. Negativity" around here...I will suggest a book that I think is a MUCH better reading choice for the interested "young person". Here it is...and it's available at a much cheaper price than "Dr. Z's" dated tome:

https://www.amazon.com/Blinkers-off-...40_&dpSrc=srch

Yes...this book has gotten negative feedback by some Amazon readers who considered it a "sales pitch" for the author's commercial speed/pace figures. But I assure all interested bystanders that the handicapping principles addressed in the book could be put to effective use with ANY type of speed/pace figures that the horseplayer chooses to use.

And...you'll be glad to know that "Dr. Z" wrote the foreword to this book...in which he gave it his highest endorsement.
"Blinkers Off" is another classic. The wisdom in the book probably has not been spread widely enough in the U.S. to have a great effect on the odds. In fact, it might never be. Fotias' angles are revolutionary, but he developed them on his own speed figures. Sadly, he passed away and no one can make speed figures like he could. He spent 12-16 hours per day making those figures. Some of his angles might work on some speed figures, but I have not been able to make them work on other's figures like I could on his. Turf Decline Line (R) for example is impossible to do with Beyer speed figures.

Fotias pushed the limits of speed figure handicapping. He was a terrific person and outstanding bettor. He was the last of his kind.

However, when it comes to mathematics of gambling Dr. Z is in a league of his own -- he actually wrote the GRG formula in "Beat the Racetrack".

It would be much easier for most young people to apply the knowledge from "Blinkers Off" simply because most people are not mathematically inclined. There is value in Fotias' ideas for people who are not mathematicians. I have read both books and both have value. If you don't get math then "Dr. Z's Beat The Racetrack" is probably of little value. But to say his system does not work anymore is just plain wrong.

It would be wrong to say Fotias' system doesn't work anymore because his speed figures are no longer available.

Depending on the person, perhaps neither system works as well as they once did. Or perhaps each system still works well but it depends on the individual? In my opinion, both books contain tremendous amounts of wisdom. It is up to each individual to determine which one works best for them.

My intention was just to let people know that "Dr. Z's Beat the Racetrack" has been reprinted. The reprint is a hardback book. It is half the price of buying a used copy. The math is timeless. The nature of the betting markets may have changed, but one thing we know about markets is that inefficiencies can exist. The sharp handicapper will find the inefficiency, late money or not, because if late money was such a big deal then people would stop betting. They don't.

Last edited by highnote; 07-09-2018 at 02:40 AM.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)