Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 01:01 AM   #7
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
It's exciting just to imagine you betting 5000 to place on a 4/5 shot.

Now I have to lie down and catch my breath
5000 is nothing. Hell, back in the 1890s (130 years ago) wealthy individuals were betting 200,000 per race. I don't know how much that is in today's dollars, but it would have been a lot more than 200,000 dollars is today.

Bridge jumpers bet a lot more than 5000 into minus pools.

I can vividly recall making a $2,000 show bet. It lost. My computer was sending in automatic wagers. I saw the 2,000 bet get sent in and I thought about canceling it, but I had been having a great run. It was only about 1/10 of what I had won over the previous 6 months from place and show betting. So I let go. Had I known more about what had taken place with the horse in the prior 24 hours I would not have made the bet.

The bet was on Sweet Catomine in the Santa Anita Derby. Look up the race.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Catomine

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...ner-van-driver

She was running against colts. The night before the race she was removed from the racetrack. The van driver told the gatekeeper she was a pony. Her owner claims he did not know about it. I seem to recall she was placed in a hyperbaric chamber. It's possible the owner didn't know about it. Trainers sometimes go to great lengths to keep the owners in the dark.

I guess the bottom line is that losing a bet only hurts if you can't afford it.

Last edited by highnote; 07-09-2018 at 01:07 AM.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)