Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 04-25-2014, 10:57 PM   #68
Vigorish

Done with Churchill Downs until takeout hike is rescinded

Greetings everybody,

Even though Twin Spires has some of the worst player rewards in the industry, I have been a loyal customer since they bought out YouBet in late 2010. I always loved their software, programming, hand histories, and lightning fast cashier. However, all of that came to a screeching halt when I read about their cynical scheme to bilk their already overburdened customers.

A couple of days ago I wrote the following letter to Twin Spires through their customer support client. Surprisingly, one of their customer support agents responded with a promise to put me in touch with a manager. Not surprisingly, management has opted to remain silent.

Here is my letter: "Why are you raising your takeout on Churchill Downs? Do you think your customers have been 'getting a free ride' and should be paying more for the privilege to place a wager? The takeouts are excessive and not competitive with any other form of wagering. One of the reasons I played at Churchill was the reasonable takeout (at least in terms of industry average). Now I feel like you do not respect my business. Takeout hikes will lower business and profits."

I will not bet the Kentucky Oaks, the Derby, or any race affiliated with Churchill Downs. We can gripe all we want about other players not supporting previous boycotts. It does not matter one bit whether other players support or do not support boycotts. Furthermore, it's irrelevant whether some players receive rebates. This is about behaving in a way that reflects our personal values. Perhaps you feel the product is so valuable that a price hike is a small price to play for the thrill of betting their product. For some players, the inexorable advance towards higher and higher takeouts is an accepted part of 'getting in on the action.' Fortunately, there are other outlets that offer lower takeouts, larger fields, and high quality racing. There is a saying, falsely attributed to Gandhi, that goes, "be the change you want to see in the world." One can passively accept insulting price increases or decide to do something different. The beauty about boycotting Churchill Downs is that it takes very little effort. You just have to re-orient your wagering habits so they more closely reflect your values (and often your rational self interest).
Vigorish is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)