Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
The Judge

Barry Meadow Retiring!!!

e-mial just received I took out a small part about refunds etc.

TR Publishing, 3457 Via Zara Ct., Fallbrook, CA 92028
trpublishing.com (805) 712-5060

After 23 years of publishing the daily Master Win Ratings, I am retiring effective immediately.

I appreciate the opportunity to have provided this service to you over these years. Your correspondence and comments have helped me to sharpen my own handicapping, and have helped contribute to the accuracy and value of the ratings.

I have always done the ratings myself. No assistants, no farming out the work. Which has made for some interesting times during some rare mid-meet trips to faraway places. Thanks to the Internet (which didn’t exist when we started with the mailed, weekly ratings), I’ve watched Golden Gate replays from a hotel room in Monaco, deciphered a German-language keyboard at an Internet café in Austria so I could e-mail the ratings, and downloaded past performances on a cruise ship in Honduras.

Using the ratings as my key handicapping element, I’ve also bet many millions of dollars during this time—through the windows, legal rebate shops, betting exchanges, offshore racebooks, and bookmakers. And from this I am retiring as well.

Partly I am retiring for health reasons, to withdraw from the daily stresses of long hours, deadline pressures, and millimeter $8,000 photos. These pressures, I reluctantly admit, have taken some toll on my body. My doctors tell me that I’ll be better off not to be spending late nights reviewing the final turn of a Hollywood Park turf race several times to see exactly who was wide (and how wide), or agonizing over whether a horse should be a 14 or a 15, or pounding my desk when I’ve just lost a photo at Santa Anita.

I’ll still be involved in horse racing, though not on a daily basis any more. I’m working on a new book, The Skeptical Handicapper, which will include much computer research about what really works in this game. I’ll continue my regular column for American Turf Monthly. And I remain an advisor to HANA, the horseplayers’ advocacy group.

So I won’t exactly be fading into the sunset, but I will have more time to enjoy the sunsets. I’ll be living full-time in Fallbrook, and those of you who’ve visited me here know how beautiful and peaceful it is.

I thank you for your support over the years, and wish you well. And as I signed off each day’s ratings on the telephone, “Good luck at the races.”

Barry Meadow
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)