Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 09:14 AM   #44
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Berry View Post
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I haven't been on any forums in a while, so let me address a few things mentioned in this thread:

Mountaineer does not pay $500 per day; it pays $252. I was able to pick up winter work over the past three years at Charles Town ($300), Buffalo harness ($250) and Louisiana Downs ($325), but nothing so far this year with John McGary leaving Mahoning Valley to do both meets at Louisiana Downs.

When I started at Mountaineer in 2004 we raced for more than 11 months. I have not been able to make ends meet for the past few years with our reduced schedule, reduced health care and stagnant salary. I had hoped to get the winter job at Mahoning Valley to fill the gap but missed out for a third time. I also applied for Golden Gate and Aqueduct when their announcers moved on.

Indeed, I was on the verge of putting the race-calling cue in the rack but decided to return to Mountaineer in 2018 and have one more crack at finding winter employment at the end of the year.

As for the Larry Collmus the influence, of course there would be some truth to that. Given his standing in the game, a nod of approval or recommendation from Larry would hold great weight, as was the case with Luke Kruytbosch.

Time is running out for me to be calling at one of the elite tracks, especially with NYRA and California in safe hands for the next 10 years.

Thanks again, everyone, for your positive words. I'll keep trying.
Whatever the fate of your higher ambitions. Be proud of your work at Mnr. It's a good legacy.

Analysts are less transient than callers, and since I grew up attending Waterford/Mountaineer, I've never aspired to work elsewhere. In fact, Pete, my love of the place is such, and my life so intertwined with its history, that, with all respect to my bosses (past and present), I've never served persons, only the facility. And I think that's a nobler calling.

So forgive me if I consider your exemplary service to the track I love to be a great career, complete in itself. I know you want more, and the bills need paid.

Also, no winter gig at all for you is insane.

Last edited by mountainman; 12-04-2017 at 09:16 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)