Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: ALL DATA Free
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #66
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cklv
The word document I found was very helpful. I do have a question or two, on page 7 the text mentioned the factor BestL2 Comp2 returned a ROI of 45.9%, the top rank horse mentioned had an average of 8.1 for this facor. It looked to me that this should be 7.5 if I am reading the top column correctly. Is that correct?

Regarding a general question, I didn't understand the meaing of the 3 groups of numbers under each filter factor. What does the statement "winners' average ranking for each factor" mean. What is included in the average. For example, let's take the BestL2 Comp2 factor with the updated filters in the example, does that mean the horse with the best Best2 Comp 2 factor historically wins 28.8% of the time and retuned a 45.9% ROI.

This is a work in process for me. I was able to create the zzoutput files ok but had some problems with the all data model. When I tried to analyse, I got the debug message. I am going to retrace my steps using the new word docs and I think I can work it out. I need to say that I am enjoying every second I have the time to work on this. I hope to add some value to the team once I master your work of art.

Charles
My mistake, you are correct, I was looking at "Best L2 Comp", instead of "Best L2 Comp2".

Quote:
Regarding a general question, I didn't understand the meaing of the 3 groups of numbers under each filter factor. What does the statement "winners' average ranking for each factor" mean.
When you filter a factor, all the horses in that sample are looked at. The stats for the top 5 ranked horses, in each factor, are returned, in the middle and bottom groups, in the "Analyze Utility". The top group, of 5 numbers, shows the average ranking that each of the top 5 finishers had for that factor. So, the top number would be the average ranking, in that factor, for all the winners in all the races in the sample. The 2nd to top number, in that factor, would be the average ranking for all the place horses, in all those races, etc..

Quote:
does that mean the horse with the best Best2 Comp 2 factor historically wins 28.8% of the time and retuned a 45.9% ROI.
Yes. In the middle group and bottom group of numbers, you are seeing the top ranked horses for each factor, not the top finishers.

Quote:
When I tried to analyse, I got the debug message.
There can be several reasons for getting the dreaded "copy and paste areas are not the same size or shape" error message. But, in my experience so far, this message pops up when you have query settings that do not return any plays, in other words you have asked the database to return data for plays and there are none found. Try opening up your factor settings slightly and see if that helps. If you continue to have the error, then it's something else causing that and I would, at that time, ask you to zip the workbook, as it is, and send it to me so I can run it myself and find the problem.

I'm glad you're enjoying, experimenting with the database, it can be a lot of fun! And, sometimes you'll learn things that you never would have believed.

I will edit the "Step 1" document so that my meanings are clearer.

Thanks for the feedback!!!

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)