Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 03-13-2021, 08:41 PM   #8
thaskalos

IMO...the problem with the closers isn't that they don't often get the hot pace that they need in order to put their closing kick to effective use. I can understand why the closer can't always finish close to the winner in the race. What confuses me is that the closer's late kick isn't consistently demonstrated race to race. In one race the closer will finish second while running a 24-second final quarter, and in its next two races the closer will come home in 25+ while failing to beat even half the field...even though all the other race dynamics remain the same. The speed horse demostrates its early speed consistently, even when it finishes poorly in the race. If the speedster can run a 45-second half...then that clocking wll show up time after time, in good races and in bad. But the closer who is capable of a 24-second last quarter will run that quarter infrequently...even though its early energy expenditure remains the same race-to-race.

That's why a horse like Zenyatta was so unique to me. The horse started in last place every single time...and she delivered her menacing closing kick in every single race. That's very rare...even on tracks that favor late speed.

Last edited by thaskalos; 03-13-2021 at 08:54 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)