Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 10-27-2014, 11:33 AM   #33
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by traynor
For non-database users, the first steps are critical. Both Access and Open Office make those steps quick and easy, via wizards. Once the initial learning process (REALLY short) gets one up and running, switching to another database (at some later date) takes little more than clicking a few buttons. Both Access and Open Office are intended for new users. Both are simple, easy to use, and near perfect for learning the basics.

I would lean heavily toward Access, because as one becomes more familiar with the processes, it is extremely simple to write short VBA code blocks to make Access do whatever one wants to do.

It is well to bear in mind that the value of databases is in querying the data, not just holding it in one place. Access makes writing those queries both quick and easy. It is a perfect example of the Microsoft philosophy of writing user-friendly apps that make it easy for new users to get started, and to enable them to do fairly complex stuff in a relatively short period of time.
I can not disagree with anything you've said. However, I think it needs to be said that beyond the power gained vis-a-vie the query engine, it only will be capable of fulfilling that promise if the database and the tables making up the database are well formed. So, learning a bit about normal forms and what joins are will help get things off on the right foot. The wrong foot could very well mean your data is in a database but you can't use it for anything meaningful.

A long time ago, back when Paradox with the RDBMS I was using, the nice thing it offered was QBE, query by example. It allowed you to form queries by checking boxes (and a few other things) which shielded you from having to learn SQL. It help flatten the learning curve. I don't know if anything like QBE is around any more but it was what I thought of when I tried OO Base the first time.

Last edited by DJofSD; 10-27-2014 at 11:34 AM.
DJofSD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)