Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 10:41 AM   #13
green80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
In most jurisdictions, I would presume that a "vet scratch" would necessitate putting the horse in question on some sort of Vet List. In some of these jurisdictions, the list is available to the public.

NYRA has the current NY Vet List available at:

https://www.nyra.com/aqueduct/horsemen/vets-list.pdf

Santa Anita links the CHRB Vet List here:

http://www.chrb.ca.gov/veterinary.html

For other tracks, I would scour their websites, particularly in the "Horsemen's" menu. The lists may or not be available.

These lists give more meaningful information than simply "vet scratch". They often note reasons, such as "sick", "injured", or "unsound". Some might mention requirements such as workouts to be removed from the list.

To make it worthwhile, one would have to be diligent about collecting/archiving such lists. If a horse that was on the list gets off, then obviously it will no longer appear on the list and you'd have missed your chance at any relevant info. It's probably difficult to drum up past lists from anywhere.
Most places it's hard to find out the reasons for a vet scratch. Usually there is some time period you have to wait after a vet scratch (usually 7 days) but that's nothing, its usually that long before your race comes up again because entries are usually 3-7 days or longer before the race.

Horses that require a work are sometimes listed as on the stewards list, such as no coggins, poor performer, lack of paperwork etc. and are shown as a stewards scratch. A horse that pulls up lame during the race is usually shown in the form as pulled up or stopped, walked off.

If I was going to factor this into my handicapping I would look at the length of time between the scratch and the next entry for the horse. A short time period, say less than 30 days would indicate not much of a problem. 6 months or more would indicate a more serious problem that the horse may or may not have healed from. Keep in mind with the vet checks and the track vet keeping an eye on all the horses warming up it is pretty hard to get by and run an unsound horse. You will also see jockeys refuse to ride and get off a horse after warming up as they can sometimes feel things that the vet cannot see. That's the ones that I will not bet.

Last edited by green80; 12-31-2017 at 10:42 AM.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)