Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 08:07 PM   #20
Franco Santiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by oughtoh View Post
I didn't know you knew me. lol I think alot of what you said, at least in my case, is having a big enough bankroll. It sounds like he is doing what I do alot, playing afraid to loss money instead of playing to win.
I agree that "fear of regret" or fear of losing money is the cause of a lot bad decisions and losses. But I don't think it is - at least in totality - solved by having a big bankroll.

I think that fear is caused by a deep-rooted internal belief system that what a person is doing isn't correct or is at least in some manner deficient. Because if a person truly had conviction and belief that what he was doing was correct, then the fear would disappear.

In general, this fear is ego driven. The person fears loss because if he loses, he/she fears he/she will lose acceptance, love, or identity, especially identity. We do almost everything we do as a matter of conforming to our identity. We wear jerseys of our sports teams as a matter of conforming to our identity that we are fans of a particular team. We profess hatred or love for politicians based on how they conform (or not) to our values, which are part of our egoic identy. And people make "saver" bets so they aren't losers as a matter of maintaining their identity.

So, to experience a breakthrough and not "need" to place these saver bets, one has to change his/her beliefs. Then and only then will a person be able to bet with unshakeable confidence on horses - long or short - and have a chance of profitabilty.

I know many will consider this psycho-babble, and that's ok with me. What you think of me is none of my business anyway, but I think this thread brings to light what is more of a mental issue than a strategy issue. And like Yogi Berra said, "half of the game is 90% mental" (or something like that).
Franco Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)