Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 08-17-2022, 10:18 PM   #43
vikingrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeri98 View Post
It could be but all I know is Gulfstream has abandoned it's turf racing because the turf was not safe and trainers were complaining about it. Their turf course was also Bermuda. Like you said maybe local climate thing but I believe Bermuda is native to Florida. I noticed that the NYRA tracks always have pristine looking grass as does Santa Anita , Keeneland and up here at Woodbine. Tampa also has a beautiful turf course although when they ran a few days there this summer it was getting torn up pretty good. I don't know why Churchill wouldn't use the formula NYRA or these other tracks with really nice turf courses have.
Much of the advantage NYRA has is from the fact that they have three tracks each with two turf courses located inside a 1 1/8 (AQU, SAR) or 1 1/2 mile (BEL) main track.

We'll have to see how NYRA manages turf racing at Aqueduct this fall, since there will be almost three months with turf racing before winter; NYRA typically can run turf races into early December, but that was predicated on running at Belmont until the end of October before moving to Aqueduct for the winter.

Keeneland has the advantage of only conducting six weeks of racing a year, three weeks each in April and October, plus the occasional Breeders Cup weekend.

Churchill as a company had a racetrack that offered considerable flexibility in the use of its turf course, with the additional turf pspace offered by being situated inside a 1 1/8 mile main track rather than a mile track, but that track, Arlington, is unlikely to ever host another horse race.
vikingrob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement