Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 08-12-2022, 12:04 PM   #13
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffwed View Post
Hoping the best for him, he is an all time great, and deserves to go out on his terms a la Vin Scully
I should say, that while I understand the sentiment, I'm not actually sure people do "deserve" this if they are screwing up their job. Maybe it speaks to the unimportance of the job (the thing PA always razzes me about), although as cj points out, when the job is done truly poorly, it can become a distraction or worse for the fans. (Could you imagine a novice bettor tearing up a ticket after hearing Trevor call a different horse the winner?)

But if one actually sees a job as important, doing the job poorly is cause for termination, no matter how great you once were. We wouldn't allow a doctor or a lawyer to continue committing malpractice at an advanced age because 20 years ago, he/she was an all-time great surgeon or advocate. It's harsh, but you're being paid to do a job, and if you can no longer do that job, it's time to go. They can always honor Trevor by naming a race after him, putting up a plaque or even a statue of him, having "Trevor Denman Day" where the track honors him, etc.

Last edited by dilanesp; 08-12-2022 at 12:07 PM.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)