Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: John Imbriale
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2022, 11:25 AM   #186
craigbraddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Did Sir Peter ever call the Humboldt County Marathon?
When you consider Telstar was launched in 1962, the first live televised race from the USA to Great Britain was the 1968 Washington DC International (Which Peter commentated on for the BBC as well as covering for the Daily Express) and he retired a long time before Ferndale sent their signal anywhere the answer would be "no." - wouldn't it?

However if he had called it, he would have done the same level of prep work as he did for all the races he called. How do I know this? Because I was with him when the BBC covered very ordinary racing mainly on weekdays.

Examples of both our prep work attached to show how in part he inspired me.

In his prime, I think he was better than anyone ever has been. Descriptive, accurate, knew when to use an economy of words, and knew when to turn it up, but never being a part of or a bigger part of the race itself.

None of this name, margin, name, margin, name, margin, name, margin etc, shout a bit near the finish, further wearing out the same cliches, and then mysteriously stopping the call 75 yards out as was the way in the US that prevailed for so long.

Read this: If you can think of a horse racing commentator who was so revered for so long and whose career at the very peak of the sport went on for so long, please point him out: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rac...d-97-1.2301095

CraigSheets.jpg

PeterOSullevanSheet.jpg

Last edited by craigbraddick; 08-08-2022 at 11:31 AM.
craigbraddick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)