Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: John Imbriale
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2022, 10:51 AM   #88
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by foregoforever View Post
OK, I get it. You're a Collmus fan, and so you assume there was something sinister in his replacement. And you're generally quick to blame NYRA for many things, and you and Andy never agree on anything.

But trashing Imbriale is ridiculous. He's done a great job since taking over the top spot. He's always been a solid caller in the technical sense, but he's really stepped it up in the big races with excellent stretch calls. His voice conveys excitement without shouting, and he can throw in a bit of wit on occasion. I listen to him every race day, and I never get tired of hearing him. He truly is the "voice of NY racing".

He may not be your favorite, but describing him as a "backup" is just wrong, and he deserves better after 40-some years at NYRA.
He's not a top announcer. That's just reality.

Look, I was NOT a Durkin fan. But I would NEVER say he wasn't the top announcer in the country. How could I? He announced the Breeders' Cup and TC for decades, plus had the NYRA job, which is the biggest on-track job.

"40 years at NYRA" is actually confirmation that he was basically a career backup who got elevated.

At any rate, as stated earlier in the thread (and NOT by me), the circumstances of Imbriale's elevation were well reported, and Andy is simply dissembling about the whole thing because he can't stand that the real story got reported.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)