Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 12:47 PM   #5
TheOracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
set this up in the corner, as it's a psychology thread, and it's not going to be for everyone...

Q: What gets YOU high? When you win?? When you land a long shot on your spread ticket?? What gives you your thrill??

A: if you want long-term success, the best approach is to get your kicks from selecting a good race and making a good bet. Not the result. The "process".

Easier said than done. However, this isn't knowledge that I read as frequently as I feel it should be.

Thoughts?

Hey Rob,

There was some study done a few years ago where they had people play video poker to monitor their brain activity during the game.

One of the things that they found was that, whenever someone won it set off some chemical endomorphin within the brain of the participant.

They said winning, plus the combination of the chemical set off in the brain, helped to induce the participant to bet more when they won no matter what their balance was and it got to the point that people were betting all of their money on subsequent hands even though they continued to lose heavily.

It seems when the winning stopped the player bet heavier to get that 'high' from the win.

I guess for some people the thrill or high comes from winning and the hopes of getting that win but it can cause irresponsible wagering and that's most likely what the house wants.

As far as the house is concerned, here's a few bread crumbs now empty your wallet.

So yes, the approach should be systematic but it's very difficult to stay disciplined.
TheOracle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)