Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-25-2022, 12:07 AM   #35
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
The rules in West Virginia allow a horse to be entered so long as it is eligible to run at the "time of starting" of the race in which it is entered. According to the rules, even a horse on the veterinarians' list can enter so long as it does not exclude another horse from the race.
That rule is interpreted differently by different state vets, and in practical usage only applies to horses scheduled to remain on the list just for a pre-specified period of time. It's always about how they translate their policies and paperwork to the RTO system and count the days, which I could write a book about.

I've probably checked about 1.5 million entries for eligibility and have dealt with these issues and instances thousands of times. While many rules in racing are sacred and inviolate, others get contorted a bit and morph into flexible policies.

I could explain this much further, but it's late and I need to get home.

And, btw, I didn't state that I've never accepted an entry on a horse still on a vet's (or steward's) list, but rather that entries on horses NOT on the list but needing works are always accepted in my office. There is a distinction. And a critical one , at that.

Last edited by mountainman; 05-25-2022 at 12:14 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement