Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 03-06-2024, 11:38 PM   #1
AutumnLotus

Help me make more sense of Run Styles, save for E runners...

As the title says, help me make more sense of run styles other than the infinite E style.

I'll do my best to explain the crux of my question...

I'll begin by stating the obvious - which is the majority of horses running Are identified as E or E/P.

Seldom is there a majority field comprising of S & P style runners.

Nearly all the attention regarding figures in relation to E style runners have been well observed, analyzed and labelled for idiot proof observation. What do I mean by that?

Well, there is no shortage of performance identifiers specifically related to the E style runners. Almost void of debate is the most popular and overall useful figure - The SPEED number. It is arguably the first figure of performance any capper goes to when starting the contender/elimination process.

There are the Quirin (sp?) Speed Point figures, which Mr. Q Himself stated in an old write up about the proper use of his figures, is to best identify which E | E/P horse will break first to likely be the front runner/pace setter etc by the 1st & 2nd call.
He went on to say that because of the nature of S & P run styles, the figures will always be on the lower scale i.e., 0-3, as for the most part His Points have no useful affect for any other style than E | E/P.

Another figure is PRIME POWER - Granted, all horses in the field are assigned this rating - the sum of a number of accumulated/correlated factors, averaged and wrapped into a single rating. I am aware that S & P style runners can have a higher PRIME POWER rating, but if I am not mistaken, the rating in and of itself factors into it Speed, QSPt's, 1st and 2nd call fraction times... Which do not benefit S & P style runners any more than it does to benefit E & E\P styles.
I know there are other factors that make up the Prime Power rating, I am focusing on pointing out just 1 or 2 related to my statement.

Again, if I am not mistaken, the tracks PAR TIMES again are more directly related, by the very nature of their style, the E style runners.

Am I wrong in saying that the E | E\P style runners are the very source of measurement for just about all figures relating to average track speed variants, pace line expectations, track par times and other factors I am missing? If I am wrong, by all means let me know and please explain.

The point (and question) I am pushing towards is that unless I am unaware, there doesn't seem to be a figure solely related to the other styles.
What is used to measure the styles of S P & C runners?
I read on here and other places about the importance of handicapping the field on the basis of the horses Run Styles, apparently most correlated to understanding the "Pace of the Race", but how does one go about that?

I myself divide the field at times into groups of running styles to more easily handicap for tris and superfecta ticket construction. But, again, not sure how to actually measure and therefore separate the contenders from the non-contenders.

In pace handicapping the term KICK is referred to a SPC styles ability to "make its move" so to speak / to release its reserved energy for the last turn and the final stretch. But I have yet to see (again, correct me if I'm wrong) a single-wrapped number/rating specifically to that term and definition. I understand the overall horse's ability to withhold its power until needed, is measured by the moment of total energy expenditure, i,e, KICK by looking at the lengths/ground made following the final turn and rail roading down the stretch as the horse closes in on the lead runner.

And lastly, I have never really been comfortable with the definition of differences between an E and EP style runner, an EP and P style runner, and the difference between Stalker, Sustained, Presser and Closer. Am I right or wrong in thinking I am to believe that one of those labels mean the same thing, but happen to be referred to sometimes as the other - Example; is it Stalker and Presser that mean the same? Orrrr?

*** Edited to add, in any given explanation, lets concentrate on horses that have raced enough to warrant a solidified/clear Run Style.

Last edited by AutumnLotus; 03-06-2024 at 11:43 PM.
AutumnLotus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)