Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Malwarebytes
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2018, 02:08 PM   #5
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
Has anybody else recently installed Malwarebytes and experienced something similar?
-jp
Jeff,

This is a great point.

I have a whole lot of XP-era machines running Win7-32 bit. Since the max memory that Win-32 will see is 3GB, "available memory" is an important issue.

Yes, I, too, had the same experience with Malwarebytes - both the free and the pay-for version.

This caused me to do some research into what "free RAM" really means.

Free Memory and Available Memory in your Windows PC

This article explains it really well. The short version:

Quote:
What is Free Memory?
While free memory and available memory both have similar sounding names, free memory is exactly what it says it is. This is memory that is currently unused by the system and contains no useful data at all. It is free to be used by the system at any time. Simple as that.

What is Available Memory?
Here’s where things get a little bit tricky. Available memory contains all the memory that is available for use by the system. While this sounds extremely similar to free memory, it is actually a broader category that includes both free memory and cached memory. That is why your level of free and available memory will differ, regardless of their similar names and functions.

Available memory plays an important role in later versions of windows. Starting with Windows 7, Windows begins to pre-load files into available memory that it might need in the future. The idea is that if some of these files are already sitting in RAM, you will experience a noticeable increase in the speed of your machine. If this memory is going to be idle anyway, why not use it? If these files are not needed, they are easily swapped out of RAM in order to make room for something else.

From an application standpoint, I found that loading a new app (i.e. one that was not currently cached) took FAR longer to start. However, once it got going, the speed picked up.

All that being said, your assessment of Malwarebytes is exactly right because it HOGS that memory.

BTW, if you install the free version, it sits there doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING because the free version does not contain real-time protection. It still HOGS the memory as well as the CPU!

My plan of attack was to dump the pay-for version and only install the free version when I wanted to do a system sweep. After the sweep is finished and things are cleaned up, I uninstall it immediately.

Hope this helped.

Dave

Last edited by Dave Schwartz; 08-28-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement