Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: advertising
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 11:24 AM   #38
miesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
It is the greatest game Grits, but we have to remember new markets and what they want, not what we want - we are satisfied.

If Ebay asked existing flea market or garage sale people if they want to do it on the web the answer is "no, I like to touch what I am buying"

If Amazon asked what existing book buyers want, they would hear "I love to browse and have fun at the bookstore"

These businesses would have never been started if they listened only to existing customers.

The new market does not want to travel to a track, study a racing form for six hours, sit for 5 hours and then go home. You and I do that and we should always be looked after and respected (something that the business has done a poor job at), but to get new markets we must think new, and fresh. We can not make people be horse fans and bettors, they need to be targeted and the game needs to change to fit their needs, not the other way around (imo).

I used two slides at a presentation recently on changing demo's

This was the first one:

http://www.murraytuckerwriter.com/da...andicapper.jpg

The second one was this:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/127/3...e47aff.jpg?v=0

He is a 20 year old kid that grew up playing Dungeons and Dragons, is extremely smart and now plays poker. He is tailor-made for games, and gambling. He has $1.3M in earnings. He would be perfect for the mind game of horse racing, with stats, probabilities and so on (he says that is what interested him to poker). However, we have not brought that to him. He bought a poker book and started playing. In racing he would have to buy data, study with a pencil and paper, test, and if he lived in a state without ADW coverage like so many, he could not even play online - and even if he survived all that, then we would proceed to kick his ass with 22% takeouts. This is a huge problem, and a completely underserved market that we are losing. We have to start building plans to get at them and serve them if we want a shot to grow the game (imo).
That is a very good post, Dean. The biggest point is that in order for racing to grow it needs to change and reach out from its existing boundaries, as well as improving its product and customer satisfaction in that product. If there are no changes to the status quo, then the industry will continue to decline because any industry who looses customers faster then new customers are added is destined to shrink. The current cold, hard demographics of the modern horseplayer shows a significant skew towards the older end of the population with little growth in other segments of the population. Racing is soon going to reach the point where its customer is dying off faster then it can convert new customers. I realize this is a pretty blunt way to look at it, but its pretty important from a long term perspective to keep in mind.
miesque is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)