Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #8
fmolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
The way I recall it, the NY racetracks had the opportunity to control the branch business at the start but turned it down. So OTB became an independent agency. When they realized they made a big mistake it became an issue.

Despite all the BS, NYCOTB turned out to be wildly profitable for the government, breeders, and various other groups, but it also contributed to the slow decline of on track attendance. It was also extremely inefficient because there were multiple OTB organizations around the state (when you really only need one) and because they all became dumping grounds for political patronage jobs and unions workers paid at above market rates.

However, IMO the media coverage of the some of causes of the decline and how the bankruptcies were handled has been horribly one sided and inaccurate (especially from the DRF). I have a lot of contacts on the inside and know exactly what was going on and why.

I think everyone knows that the growth is in the phone, hand held device, and computer model, but most still believe there's a huge role for restaurant branches, large simulcast centers etc... NYRA is going to wind up duplicating a lot of OTB already had.

IMO, the idea was to get from where we were to where we need to get without blowing 65% of the handle and destroying a 1000 jobs (with many more to come at the other OTBs). The government handled the process so badly it's almost a travesty. Part of the decline was caused by idiotic rules like these that drained the OTBs so they couldn't invest.

I understand and agree with everyone that thinks we'd be better off with NYRA controlling everything, but there's a right way, wrong way, truthful way and BS way to get that done.

I should add that I think NYRA didn't really do anything wrong in the BK process. It was the state that screwed it up.
I agree with most everything you said I do not want the nyra to take over.They are basically a Quasi-govt. agency and have had their own problems over the years.

I personally think its time for the whole thing to be run by an outside private for profit company.Although political greed will probably prevent this from ever happening.
fmolf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement