Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 12:19 AM   #17
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
When they say "it must be running locally on a system" that sounds good and all...but something can be running locally on a system after it is downloaded from the web or malware is obtained by browsing a malicious site...yes?
Yes.
Quote:
What is the real difference between this security hole, or a hole in Windows itself (which as we know, has had MANY), that allows a malicious actor to capitalize on said security hole?
Because it affects more devices including those not running Windows. Plus, we're talking about a hardware level problem that will involve more than one company issuing a patch. And we're talking about reading kernel memory here. Basically having access to everything that happens on a computer. Eeesh.
Quote:
With Intel CPUs and chipsets, how do we close it? Not sure why a BIOS update would fix this...but I guess somehow it would?
My educated guess is that the Intel has to rewrite the CPU microcode. Current BIOSes will not be able to run it properly unless they are updated. As someone mentioned previously, I doubt that motherboard manufacturers are going to update all the old(er) BIOSes.

Quote:
Why is it somehow different or cataclysmic this time around?
I think that no antivirus/antimalware will be able to detect a problem. You could be antimalware-protected to the hilt and it won't do any good. And what if your motherboard BIOS won't get an update?
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)