Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
startngate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCal Boy
Care to disagree?
Yes. IMO you have put forth a scenario that will never happen.
Quote:
If Youbet, TVG and PTC all agree to give the horsemen 5.5% of the takeout, but Tracknet holds firm at 4%, the Tracknet ADW's will crumble due to lack of content.
If a deal is offered by the horsemen that those ADW's can accept, then TrackNet would be able to accept it too. Trigger is right, TrackNet could sign a terrible deal for their ADW's and force everyone else out. You seem to have forgotten that TrackNet's partners also own the racetracks, so they are keeping more than the "other" ADW's already. IMO that means there isn't a deal that the "other" ADW's can sign that TrackNet won't also be able to agree to. In fact, just the opposite is more likely true.

TVG is losing money without their "exclusive fees" from YouBet, who isn't exactly flush with profits either. And Ian will have to reduce his rebates to maintain whatever profitability he has. He certainly isn't going to be able to provide all the additional services (like streaming video) that others on this board keep asking him for unless he charges extra for them.

And forget about takeout reductions. Dean T (and others on this board) have mentioned this additional revenue the horsemen are seeking will keep that from happening.
Quote:
Do you really think the horsemen are just a bunch of idiots?
Yes, IMO they are, because they are asking for something they will never get, and are willing to shoot themselves in the foot (purse reductions) to try to make a point they have no chance of winning. They are alienating the tracks, and more importantly the customers. Not to mention, all the "little guys" among the horsemen are suffering the most because they get hit hardest by the purse reductions. Not smart.

The one thing that annoys me the most is that if you can believe the reports, TrackNet has already gotten the horsemen a lot more money for purses from raising host fees. Instead of saying thank you for that, the horsemen are saying "we know your business better than you do, and you didn't get us enough". Maybe there is more money to be had, or maybe not, but sitting down to see if there are still some areas for improvement on an outlet by outlet basis IMO would be the better way to go about this. Instead they are trying to throw a blanket over alll ADW's, of which each has its own business model that may require different terms and conditions to make work. Every business needs to have some expectation of turning a profit. If the math doesn't work then you go out of business.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing about this situation that is good for us (the customers). I'm not much of a baseball fan any more since the player's strike in 1994. I'm already playing less since my favorite tracks aren't available, and expect that to continue if this doesn't get resolved soon.
startngate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)