Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Improvement
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #17
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indulto
I think you ae misinterpreting Kling's point which I understand to be that while this is not NORMAL improvement, it doesn't prove it was accomplished through CHEATING. Even if you believe that both the UNUSUALLY high Beyer number and the preceding low one were both accurate (and there are reasons to suspect they may not be due to the the vagaries of figure-making as opposed to the competence of the Beyer team), there are rational, legitimate reasons for the horse's improvement including the possibility the animal may have real ability that only maturation brings about.

DO I believe there is a drug problem? Yes. Do I believe Dutrow has used medication illegally in the past? Yes. Do I believe Dutrow is an UNUSUALLY competent horseman? Yes. Do I believe Wolfson uses medication illegally? No. Do I believe that both Byk and Kling going out of their way to support Wolfson is significant? Yes. Do I think Beyer's article would have been less controversial and more effective had he not speculated about any trainer's reputation other than "Phil's?" Absolutely!
Let me get this straight...you think all of his first eight races were inaccurate? He was a pretty darn consistent horse. Now, as to the high one, let us assume it was 15 points too high. The horse still improved more than practically any horse I could ever find with similar development. More, that is, unless I start searching Wolfson horses.

Steve Byk is a good guy, and I like him a lot. Since Wolfson is a regular guest on the show, would you expect anything less from him than total support? Kling, I have no idea what his motive is. Maybe it is just poor research. The truth is, very few people in the horse racing "media" are really bettors. They look at the game differently, and probably know a lot less about it.

Do you think either one of these writers could have told you about this horse?

Don't you think maybe Steve should have asked about him? How about B R's Girl who raced on January 30th at GP? She was another rescued from that incompetent horseman Todd Pletcher. She came in 1 for 13, but managed to move from a career high Beyer of 84 to a 98 while drawing away for an easy victory. Of course, she was only 2 to 1, because the people who bet have learned the game is about people more than horses when you have a trainer change these days.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)