Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 06-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #11
FartyJones

Hi Guys,

I have been ghosting this blog for about 2 years, and finally decided to make an account. I am a 27 year-old from South Florida living in Orlando (started out going to Calder in 2001), so I can weigh in a little bit.

1. Even though we have had two triple crown winners in the last 5 years, this year the amount of people that have reached out to me asking for my opinions on the race has quadrupled from 8 or 9 to about 30. So it seems all press is good press. Additionally only 1 or 2 people have mentioned Santa Anita, so even though I think it's a tragedy more people have mentioned Chad Brown's non-payments so I don't think it will have a major impact.

2. I think one of the major problems is too many days of racing. Too many race days is resulting in 6 or 7 horse races. When I take people to the track and they pick the third choice winner out of 6 horses, I have to explain to them why they are getting 5/2. This may be working for tracks for now, but bigger fields and telephone number payouts are what is going to draw in bigger crowds. Additionally, current horseplayers need to do a better job at bringing people in. I have recently started doing group bets with friends. Even though I had to explain to 9 others why they lost their share of the derby day pick 5, it is a good way to garner interest in the sport and I think they'll be back. (and next year my bachelor party at the derby should help too)

3. The tracks are gross. I'm convinced that the people at Calder and Gulfstream don't shower, they charge you $11 for a beer, and they never do anything to draw people in. Put together a farmers market or a flea market to get the young couples out there. Give people a reason to dress up and pretend that they have more money than they actually do. Downs after Dark at Churchill is extremely fun, they could implement that other places.

It's like the industry is not even trying!
FartyJones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)