Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Ask a Trainer.
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
chadk66

great question. Generally I don't see any difference with how horses are after a race now than they were twenty years ago. It also appears horses are ran less frequently now days than just twenty years ago. It was very common to see cheaper claimers running every ten to twelve days when I trained in the eighties and nineties. not so much now days from what I see. One thing from being on this board that I see that is in sharp contrast to twenty to thirty years ago is the number of positives for illegal meds. much higher now days. I'm not sure why that is but it must be one of two things. more/better drugs available now, or horsemen aren't as good with the horses now and the drugs are a tool for success. I don't want to believe the latter but today in this country we have become the kings of shortcuts. everybody wants it done faster, easier and with less thinking. So I guess it's a definite possibility. One thing I do see is that there is so much more available in the form of therapies, drugs, etc. just as in the human medical field. When I trained adequan had just came out. originally it had to be injected into the joint. then a couple years later they discovered it worked just as well injected IM. Now it's being used as a regular therapy on a daily basis. When I trained I did research and development for 3M corporation. Two guys at 3M and myself did all the R&D on the equisport bandage. The first bandage they brought me to try was so strong you could have pull started your truck with it. too strong for horse applications. This succeeded the vet wrap they had on the market at the time. We also did a ton of research on cold water wraps. Probably tested ten different ones but I think only one ever made the market. They had some pretty cool stuff they never marketed. I'd love to answer any questions the best I can.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)