Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 08:23 AM   #7
Teach

Second Quarter Observations:

The Kansas City Chiefs have four (4) major “weapons,” e.g., Mahomes, Hill, Williams and Watkins. Those four are priority #1 for the Patriots if they are to advance to the Super Bowl in Atlanta. You could say: “It’s the Pats Against Patrick and Company”. Mahomes can’t be allowed to get comfortable. He must be made to feel “self-doubt”. Question himself!

In analysis, the Chiefs continued to steamroll over the Colts in the second quarter. Metaphorically, the Colts were like deer who were “looking into the headlights.” Was it the crowd? The stadium? The aura? The weather? Whatever it was, the Colts weren’t ready when the “opening bell” sounded.

Throughout much of the second quarter the Chiefs continued to “steam-roll” over the Colts. The Colts’ zone coverage wasn’t working. The only thing it did do was to prevent Mahomes from “freelancing on his feet”. If the Patriots go to “man coverage,” Mahomes becomes much more of a threat to run. That will add a further dimension to the Chiefs offense. This isn’t Philip Rivers we’re dealing with. One thing’s clear, Mahomes has a quick release. He’s capable of throwing lasers. Yet, he didn’t seem as effective throwing deep (there weren’t that many).

Further, the Patriots defensive line must be weary of Mahomes cadence, i.e. “hard count”. He was very successful at varying the pitch of his voice. On another note, Tyreek Hill is a threat every time he touches the ball. The Chiefs have designed many plays, both running and passing, to get him involved. He appears to be “a safety valve” on passing plays. Hill may well be the “fastest man” in the NFL. He’s very shifty. Kelce’s “a load”. He reminds me of “a younger Gronk.” Yards after the catch. A human bowling ball. Kelce carries defenders with him. Also, Damien Williams is an effective runner. Sammy Watkins can make unbelievable one-handed catches. Yet, I believe it all boils down to unnerving and stopping Mahomes. He’ll come into the game “cocky.” Some of “the starch” has to be taken out of him.

If there were a Chief’s weakness that became evident for the last few minutes of the First Half. They had a punt blocked. The Colts’ Bernard Cooke blew right past both Darrel Williams and Charcandrick West. The ball was recovered by Zach Pascal in the end zone for a touchdown.

The Colts would get the ball back with 1:40 left in the half. A no-huddle offense. This was the Andrew Luck-led offense that I had expected. Luck was sharp. He completed pass after pass against the Chiefs secondary. The Chiefs were back on their heels. It was, during this time, that it appeared as if the Colts had been given a transfusion. Yet, they simply ran out of time. They settled for a field goal that 23-year veteran Adam Vinatieri missed. It hit the left upright. In all fairness to the former Patriots kicker, his holder didn’t get the ball down and turn the laces, quickly enough. That was a possible 2nd half momentum killer. The Chiefs led 24-7 at the half. For all intents and purposes the game was over at the half, possibly even the first quarter.

I’ll be back later with my Second-Half analysis and the keys to a Patriots victory.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)