Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 01:42 PM   #1
Teach

New England Patriots vs. Kansas City Chiefs

The weather: Forecast for Kansas City next Sunday evening calls for bitter cold. Not windy, but extremely cold. The temperature, at best, will struggle to reach 20 degrees. There is also snow in the forecast for the preceding day, Saturday. Although similar, this isn’t exactly the same weather-condition scenario that players and fans experienced at Gillette in Sunday afternoon’s Patriots win over the LA Chargers. It should be appreciably colder. I should add to the equation the impact of Saturday’s predicted snow, and the impact of any melting on the Arrowhead turf. I say melting because…

The field: I should note that Arrowhead Stadium has a recently-installed underground heating system that will keep the playing-field surface-temperature at a minimum of 40 degrees. That could make for very slippery conditions (even if the field is covered before game-time). Artificially, the Chiefs create a field-condition that resembles our New England area’s “mud-season” (usually late-winter, early spring). In fact, some homes around have “mud-rooms” that allow family members and guests to take off their boots, sneakers, etc. before entering the main portion of the house.

The impact of playing conditions: In expected conditions like these, the offense has a distinct advantage (all the more reason to control the football). Receivers know exactly where they’re going, i.e., their routes. Ball carriers too have an edge in this sloppy-field scenario.

The footwear:
The players’ cleats must provide traction. Flat-soled shoes will not cut it!

The psychology:
The Patriots surprised even their harshest critics by handily defeating the LA Chargers. I believe it was Patriots best game of the 2018-2019 season. The Patriots must build on that victory. They cannot afford to become complacent. They can’t rest on their laurels. Each player: “Must do his job!” To think that the Patriots are just one win away from yet another trip to the Super Bowl. For some on the Patriots team, it may be their “last hurrah”. For others, quite possibly, their only chance. There must be commitment. The players need to live in the moment. They need to seize the moment. “Carpe Diem!” The start of the game is critical. There can be no let up. Coming from behind in these type of games is difficult. Just ask the Colts.

The coaches:[/B] This AFC title game should be the ultimate football “chess-match”. The 20-year veteran Andy Reid against the “Dean of NFL Coaches,” Bill Belichick. Who said the game of football wasn’t cerebral. The coaches may have designed plays; yet the players must execute. I believe, when all is taken into account, this game shapes up to be a very exciting, hard-fought, contest.

In my next commentary, I’ll dissect the Chiefs vs. Colts match-up. I’ll also single out the key players for both sides. Until then…

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)